Skills such as taking a first step, smiling for the first time, and waving “bye-bye” are called developmental milestones. Most5 children attemp, learn and master these skills by a certain age.
Because children develop at their own pace, milestones are not concrete rules. We can’t know exactly when a child might learn a new skill. However, we do know that Developmental Milestones matter! From birth to age 5, your child should reach milestones in how he or she plays, learns, speaks, acts, and moves.
You can check or track your child’s milestones with easy-to-use illustrated checklists from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); you can also get tips for encouraging your child’s optimal development, and find out what to do if you are ever concerned about how your child is developing.
Checklists by age in English:
2 Month Checklist
4 Month Checklist
6 Month Checklist
9 Month Checklist
12 Month/1 Year Checklist
15 Month Checklist
18 Month Checklist
2 Year Checklist
30 Month Checklist
3 Year Checklist
4 Year Checklist
5 Year Checklist
Listas de verificación por edad en Espanol:
Lista de verificación de 2 Meses
Lista de verificación de 4 Meses
Lista de verificación de 6 Meses
Lista de verificación de 9 Meses
Lista de verificación de 12 Meses
Lista de verificacion de 15 meses
Lista de verificación de 18 Meses
Lista de verificación de 2 Años
Lista de verificacion de 30 meses
Lista de verificación de 3 Años
Lista de verificación de 4 Años
Lista de verificación de 5 Años
The CDC has also developed a Tracker App for parents to monitor and track your child’s milestones in how he or she plays, learns, speaks, acts, and moves. Photos and videos in this app illustrate each milestone and make tracking them for your child easy and fun!
- Add a Child – enter personalized information about your child or multiple children
- Milestone Tracker – track your child’s developmental progress by looking for important milestones using an interactive, illustrated checklist
- Milestone Photos and Videos – know what each milestone looks like so that you can better identify them in your own child
- Tips and Activities – support your child’s development at every age
- When to Act Early – know when it’s time to “act early” and talk with your child’s doctor about developmental concerns
- Appointments – keep track of your child’s doctors’ appointments and get reminders about recommended developmental screenings
- Milestone Summary – get a summary of your child’s milestones to view, and share with or email to your child’s doctor and other important care providers
IMPORTANT! The use of this app is not a substitute for the use of validated, standardized developmental screening tools as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. If you have questions or concerns, talk to your child’s doctor, teacher, caregiver or contact Help Me Grow Marin.
Developmental Tracking APP for Apple or Android